What is now the Cleveland Metroparks Zoo began in 1882 with 73 acres and a small collection of wild animals: 14 American deer. Today the Zoo is an animal of quite a different stripe, housing thousands of species in designed habitats as well as engaging in significant conservation and research programs.
The Cleveland Zoological Society is the Zoo’s fundraising arm, committed to promoting awareness of and support for the Zoo. The society approached Nesnadny + Schwartz to re-envision its identity and brand and to redesign all of its print and online communications tools — fundraising solicitations, membership materials, newsletters and magazines, program promotions, signage, and merchandise.
Over the course of our long relationship with the Cleveland Zoological Society, it has become the largest membership program in Northeast Ohio with over 46,500 households and 1.3 million visitors annually. Member contributions account for 50% of the funding for new exhibits as well as 20% of the Zoo’s annual operating budget.